Happy Ozomatli Day Los Angeles!

The City of Los Angeles officially declares April 23rd, 2010 as “Ozomatli Day” to celebrate and recognize the fifteenth year of the LA-based and Grammy-award winning band, Ozomatli. This celebration will include a special presentation of “Ozomatli Day” by Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa and Los Angeles City Council members at the Los Angeles City Hall.
I have followed Ozo for years, since I moved to LA in the early 90s. My college roommate was Rocio Marron who played with Quetzal. Our group of friends at USC's Latino Floor (residential housing) would follow Rocio around to all her gigs, see Quetzal play with Ozo and other LA bands like Aztlan Underground, Quinto Sol, Lysa Flores and other groups no-longer in existence like Mazzy Star. All very talented group of musicians and friends.Although I will always be a die-hard Quetzal fan, I can't help but feel an immense amount of pride for the Ozo boys. I've gotten to know them a little more in recent years being an official Ozohead. Membership to this non-exclusive club requires attending Ozo concerts (or not) and hanging out with fellow Ozoheads (even if it's just on-line in chat). Now that the message board on the www.ozomatli.com board has been removed, we keep in touch through Facebook and are finding other ways of staying connected. Of great importance, however, is meeting new fans and converting them into Ozoheads. We can go to almost any city where Ozomatli is playing and find a friend to greet us, and even a place to stay . . . and that is the beauty of this group.
Their music is high-energy, inspiring, and FUN, FUN, FUN.  When I see them perform, I just want to dance, jump, and sing at the top of my lungs. It's a wonderfully cathartic experience. They inspire people to bear nothing but love for each other, reach out a helping hand, and help each other celebrate life. Through Ozomatli, I have made many life-long friends that are so great, you forget you met them *gasp* on the internet!! You know that place where evil people are out to get you. So today, I celebrate the hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and electrocutions the boys of Ozomatli have gone through to bring us all beautiful music, a sense of humanity, and love. When I'm down, I just remember one of my favorite songs and just add a coma to remind myself that "Yaya, ya viene el sol." and everything is going to be alright.  Thank you Ozo!

Get Ozo's new album Fire Away on Amazon.com
Visit www.Ozomatli.com


Comments

  1. Here here Yaya! Well said. You almost got me emo w/ Mazzy Star, Lol. I didn't know you roomed w/ rocio? I miss quetzal but those days were great for the music scene. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phil, Yeah member Mazzy Star?? You member! The music scene back then was really special. I remember seeing Black Eyed Peas OPEN UP for Ozo at Cal State Long Beach. Admission was cheap and the bands always hung out with the fans, something Ozo still does to this day. The celebrity doesn't get to their heads. Quetzal will be back though. They're still active.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really proud of them!! Pa'lante OZO!!! And great post Yaya! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Allow Me to Bragg About It

Thanksgiving, the dilemma

Spider Sense